Thursday, February 4, 2010

Assignment 2: A Day In The University

Hello peeps, this is the sample pic of a simple web photo gallery which we are supposed to do. The link to the actual webpage is http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~kongchoo/thumbplate.htm



The challenge of this assignment is to keep all files (pics, html, css) under 180kb and still look aesthetically pleasing. I shall just pen down the design process that came into my mind when I was doing this assignment.

  • Color was perhaps the most striking theme to me so I decided to focus on a rainbow theme for the webpage.
  • I wanted to make the main color of each picture stand out, therefore I desaturated the original photos, played around with the hue and saturation settings and blurred the background a little.
  • To keep the colors organized, I've specifically arranged it such that the pics on the left hand contained warm colors ( red, orange, yellow etc) while the right hand side contained cooler colors (Blue cyan green)
  • Each pic is a little bit bigger than 320x240 so it is spaced nicely within the webpage using a simple CSS which I got from the web. Captions can be seen via mouseover the pictures, but I've disabled the pic enlargement because of overall size constraints.
  • The banner was made from scratch, you can try making it yourself using photoshop via this tutorial http://www.giackop.com/?p=70.
  • The only regret I have for this assignment was a lack of storyline since all the pictures taken were quite random. Wished I had more time to think about this.
Thats all from me, feel free to leave any comments, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment